Sticky Buns! They have been around for a long time and we have seen these tasty treats in our malls forever. Yet for years sticky buns have come in one main flavor, cinnamon. Now, don’t get me wrong, they are fantastic. It’s about time for a full makeover! Introducing Cast Iron – Chocolate STICKY BUNS!
This new flavor has a gooey chocolate center made from Oreo cookies that we like to refer to as black gold! Once you taste this recharged version of the classic sticky bun you won’t be turning back to boring cinnamon anytime soon…
Black Gold Chocolate Filling:
10 oz – Chocolate cookie crumbs
1 oz – Sugar
1.5 oz – Melted Butter
.25 oz – Vanilla Extract
3.5 oz – Hot Water (from tap)
Chocolate Filling Instructions:
1. Separate the cookie from the cream center of one package of Oreos.
2. Place the cookie portion into a gallon sized plastic bag and, using a rolling pin break down the cookies into small crumbs.
3. Now just weigh out all of the ingredients and whisk them together in a bowl until combined. Set aside until you are ready to make your sticky buns.
*TRICK! If you have a food processor or a smoothie blender put this mixture into that and blend together for 30 seconds. This will make the filling even better but is not required.
Sticky Bun Dough:
8 oz – Hot Water (straight from your faucet – no extra heating needed)
.35 oz – Active Dry Yeast
7.5 oz – All Purpose Flour
6 oz – Unsalted Butter
3.25 oz – Sugar
.20 oz – Salt
2 – Large Eggs
10.25 oz – Bread Flour
Instructions: Sticky Bun Dough
1. In a medium bowl weigh and mix together your all purpose flour and yeast.
2. Add your hot tap water to the flour and yeast mixture and mix together with a fork just until combined.
3. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 30-45 minutes.
4. Place your unsalted butter (softened-room temp), sugar and salt into a mixing bowl and cream together until combined.
5. Add your two large eggs to this mixture, one egg at a time, mixing in-between each egg.
6. Now grab your bowl that has the flour, water and yeast mixture in it (after it has set for 30-45 minutes) and add it into the mixing bowl with the butter/sugar/salt/egg mixture. Cream that together until combined. It will look a little sloppy.
7. Finally add the bread flour into the mixing bowl and switch to your dough hook. Every mixer comes with three attachments. The paddle(for creaming), a whisk(for whisking) and a dough hook(to form dough like this). Turn your mixer to it’s second lowest speed and let it work the dough for 3 minutes. Your dough is now ready to roll!
Building Your Sticky Buns:
1. Roll the dough out to about 1/4 inch thick in a rectangle (It doesn’t have to be perfect). If it isn’t perfect just cut the edges the make a better rectangle. Make sure to dust your work surface with flour so the dough won’t stick.
2. Spread the chocolate filling onto the dough with a thickness about the same as the dough, 1/4 inch.
3. Roll the dough with the chocolate filling inside to create the shape of a rolling pin. Cut off excess dough and then pinch the end of the dough with the rolling pin shaped roll to create a bond.
4. Now, just cut out your sticky buns (about 2-3 inches long each) and place them into your cast iron pan for baking.
6. Bake in your oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Final Step: Cream Cheese Icing
One 8oz package – Cream Cheese
1 pound (16 ounces) – Powdered Sugar
Instructions: Place both items in a mixing bowl and cream together until silky smooth(2-3 minutes). Then top each of your sticky buns with a spoon full of icing!