It has been said that the way to, pretty much, anyone’s heart is through their stomach. If that is the case, buckle up! It’s time to fall in love! Straight from The Chocolate Plate is, the best, easy and bullet proof CHOCOLATE CAKE!
This recipe will convince all who try it that you are truly a Michelin star chef. So roll up those sleeves, slap some cocoa powder on your face and let’s get busy! Follow my easy, step by step, instructions below and expect perfection.
1 1/3 Cups – Water
3/4 Cup – Guittard Cocoa Powder(Best Cocoa Powder! Try it out!)
3 1/4 Cups – All-Purpose Flour
2 1/2 Cups – Sugar
1 1/2 Teaspoons – Salt
4 Teaspoons – Baking Soda
1 1/2 Cups – Buttermilk
1 Cup – Vegetable Oil
3 Large – Eggs
2 Teaspoons – Nielsen-Massey Vanilla
3 8oz packages – Cream Cheese
3 Pounds – Powdered Sugar
- Soften cream cheese to room temp(heat on microwave-safe plate for 40 seconds in microwave)
- Place cream cheese and powdered sugar in a mixing bowl. Mix until smooth.
- Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Place water in a pot and bring to a boil. Take off heat.
- Dump cocoa powder into water. Whisk until smooth. Place in refrigerator to cool.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Whisk together.
- Combine buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl. Whisk together.
- Combine the flour and buttermilk mixture together. Whisk until combined.
- Add the slightly cooled cocoa powder/water mixture to the mixture from step 5.
****Important Step***** – Whisk final batter for 2 minutes straight!
- Pour chocolate cake batter into two, non-stick, greased 9-inch pans.(*Trick – place parchment paper down in the pan first. Grease under the parchment and on top.)
- Bake at 325 F for 55 minutes to 1 hour. Do not open oven until at least 50 minutes has passed!
- Once you can stick a tooth pick in the middle and it comes out clean take it out of the oven to cool.
- Chill in the refrigerator.
Building Your Cake:
- Remove cake from pans.
- Crumb coat cake(thin layer of frosting around the cake – See picture).
- Place cakes back in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Frost the bottom cake fully. Then place the second cake on top of the first and finish fully frosting the now, double layer, cake.
- Slice up and serve to you and your guests! Keep refrigerated when not being served.***Extra*** – Chocolate Ganache topping :Recipe: 1/2 cup heavy cream & 1 cup chocolate. Heat heavy cream to a low boil. Pour over chocolate and then whisk together. EASY!